Sunday 16 June 2013

Wraithguard

So I just had my birthday, And as a typical man-child I spent all my vouchers/birthday credit on plastic crack. I'm finding painting an excellent way of Staying chilled throughout exams. No idea what my motivation will be after exams are finished.  :)





Completed Unit, I need to get a white LED lamp for my desk lamp, that'll take the yellow 'wash' effect off the colouring.

Close up of individual 

I tried for more action poses than just standing there at parade rest.

Back View. I still need to do a layer of brown around the bases

Side on. I think this shows the highlighting. Overall, I'm pretty happy with these guys. I'd be happy to play them on the table, but they are nowhere near competition. Although, they are better than some of the one I saw in GW St Lukes the other day.

Also, That is a Wave Serpent in the background. So far it's had one layer of a dark green base, one layer of goblin green (kind of flat green but opaque..) and 2 layers of green ink. Here's some WIP's. The red bits are just red ink, which I should have saved for last but I was impatient.

Cockpit in front, Upper body.
Close up on cockpit. Everything was undercoated in light grey and the paper underneath is supposed to be white to give you an idea of how bad the lamp is washing out the images.
Close up on turret, and front of hull.

Hull.

Not 100% sure where to go next yet. May trial some highlighting before the final smoothing coat, as I have never painted anything like this before.

After this will probably be guardians. Smaller, a lot more bite size!! 

13 comments:

  1. Also, Credit must be given to Carolyn for first of all gifting the Battleforce to me, and then inadvertantly appearing in the back of the photos, and then helping me with the decision between 3 jetbikes + farseer or a wraithlord. (Option one shipping tomorrow.:) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. farseer on a wraithlord? jesus :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...or...?

    Although I am now thiking of a Mad Max master blaster conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work there sir. Simple but effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All but, just need to do some brown around the bevelled edge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With reference to the Wraithguard I would spend more time on the bases. A good base really makes a huge difference to a model. Also maybe pick out some of the gems ( a shit job I know)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am deliberately trying to avoid doing the gems because
    A) you're right its shit, and
    B) I don't like the christmas tree look, which will be emphasised by the green of the models.
    It's a theme I have decided on for my army, try to keep it simple and clean, The only exception is when I get fire dragons. Those bastards will be black and I will do every gem stone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean Josh, but have you perhaps considered a pre made base.

    Some like the Wraithstone or Temple bases from MicroArt Studio are pretty good, but also relatively simple and do not steal too much limelight.

    You can get them in NZ from STP as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh is a student.
      Students have no money.
      Bases cost money.

      J=S ∴ B=0

      Delete
    2. Has that ever stopped you Rob? Just share your secrets with him!

      Delete
    3. Actually that would probably be a good idea, I will look into it, esp before I do my guardians and Dire Avengers. The War walker came with a fancy base.

      Delete
  9. Hullo Josh. Andy Long here. Love your Wraith Guard. A simple and effective basing technique is to simply mix up your basing gauges a little. I have a 2 parts fine grain to 1 part larger grain with a smattering of tiny chunks of plastic sprue that's been put through a meat grinder (this is hard work for recycling sprues mind you). It looks quite effective, suits most table tops and is cheap as chips.

    ReplyDelete