Tuesday 4 June 2013

Hobby Points Painting System!

Our mighty overlord Rob postulated using a points system to help encourage us to paint models we already have before we buy more.  I think this is not only a fabulous idea but one I am going to roll with in an effort to help curb my spending as well.

How it works?  Simply add up the points you have earnt as per the table below.  You obviously can only score for each model once, unless you strip and repaint of course.  When you want to purchase more goods you need to remove that from your running credit total.

Item Value Frequency
25mm base 1 per model
40mm base 2 per model
60mm base 5 per model
Monster 10 per model
Small vehicle 15 per model
Large vehicle 20 per model
Terrain feature 10 - 20 per piece
Bonuses
Character 2 per model
Extra options 0.5 per model
Based model 0.5 per model
New technique attempted 5 once per technique
Transfers/Unit markings 1 per unit
Weathering - battle damage 1 per unit
Weathering - dirt & grime 1 per unit
Completed unit 2 per unit

Example:
5 x Chaos Space Marines (5 pts) + 5 x bases (2.5 pts) + 5 x extra options (2.5 pts) + completed unit (2 pts) = 12 HPPS in your tally.

Honesty and common sense would be the overriding factors on this as well.  And pictures of each would be expected.  Subjective pieces such as terrain would be by concensus.

Thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. Isn't transfers 1 point per unit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also we should set a monthly goal ( as a group or individually ) that we want to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what you are on about <_<
    >_>
    >_<

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does cavalry count as? 40mm?
    Are chaos space marines on a 40mm base?
    Also from a WHFB point of view, what would count as extra options?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say 40mm / 2 points.

    The theory if the system is, potentially, you can only buy the same amount of points as you buy. It takes buy in , and certainly Paul won't care. However it can be developed further to create a group challenge.

    Very conceptual at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me it looks a little too complicated.

    I will happily take part, but I really don't want to have to get out the calculator lol.

    "Extra options" for instance, not really needed, also rather vague.

    Also, I will continue to buy models whenever I can afford them, not only when some spreadsheet tells me I can. I'm sure this is what Rob is referring to above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol "when i can afford then"

      translate ...when my credit card isn't mega maxed out

      Delete
  7. These days I am actually making an effort to paint what I have (for this army) and then buy more.

    Who knows, I may even get motivated to paint my BAs after this lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For WHFB extra options would be things like a battle standard or the addition of 17 green stuff turgid flesh missiles to a giant.

    ReplyDelete