Friday 21 June 2013

Foot-dar or Mech-dar

Currently (with the models I have) I'm looking at the following core to my army:

HQ:
Farseer with Singing Spear 105pts
Cheapish HQ, the spear gives him a punchy short ranged option, probably keep him with the troops.

Elite:
Wraithguard x5 (standard wraithcannon 12" S10, ap2, assault 1 distort) 160+145 for transport
Mounted in a Waveserpent with Shuriken Cannon, scatter laser and Holo-field.
This is my get across the board and shoot the back of your tank unit.

Troops:
5 Dire Avengers Exarch upgrade with twin link catapults, and a 4++  95
Anti-infantry, 18" Catapults with a rending like ability (6's auto wound and make the shot AP2)

10 Guardian defenders with Heavy weapon platform.  105
Not sure which heavy weapon to take, probably the scatter laser, but maybe the missile launcher for flexibility.

3 Guardian jetbikes  51
Harassment unit, if they're alive use to get objectives

Heavy Support
War Walker: Scatter Laser and Bright Lance. Holofields  85
If the scatter laser hits, the bright lance becomes twin linked. War walkers can move shoot move like infantry, good for ducking around a building, shooting then ducking back.

746 Points.
The question is where to from here?
I'm thinking about saving my pennies to get another battlebox, that'll allow me to have a second transport and max out my dire avenger squad, and I'll also have the option of either one big or two smaller guardian squads. It'll also get me a Vyper jetbike, which look like it would be fun to paint.

But I'm not sure whether I want to head for a mech army or a foot slog, Eldar are pretty fast at running across the board, and youu can get SO MANY OF THEM! without transports, but I wonder if they would be too fragile?

Thoughts/suggestions?


6 comments:

  1. Have a squiz at this Josh, http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/eldar-tactics-articles/125107-6th-edition-eldar-tactics.html

    I have no idea how Eldar rock these days. Personally I would just try to get as many Harlequins in as you could as they are my favourite infantry ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also look here

      http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/6th_Edition_Tactics/Eldar

      Delete
    2. Dear god I lol'd "Fluff-wise, if Kaela Mensha Khaine was God, the Phoenix Lords would be his terminator Jesuses."

      Delete

  2. Dire Avengers - this unit is too small. Personally I would take a unit of 10 and dump them on an onjective


    Guardian jetbikes - Too small. Take 6. 2 Cannons. Add a warlock. If I was building a "foot" list I would take 1 squads of 6 w/ warlock


    Personally I am a fan of foot slogging armies, however mobile eldar is good. That said Windrider jetbikes are insanely awesome imo. Take them for your mobility.

    Where to next:

    Look into Warp Spiders. By all accounts that are total boss in this edition / codex.
    As I have made clear - Jetbikes.

    Maybe some anti tank? The Fire Prism is a nice model and is pretty good now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Step one would still be buy the next Regiment box or w/e it's called, more bodies are good, plus another Wave Serpent. All battle reports I have read say they kick ass, think of it as a Light/medium Tank with the Transport capability is a bonus.
    Plus If I get the new one I get a Vyper, which looks fun to paint, or another War Walker, which apparently does Move out of cover-shoot-move back into cover very nicely. (Still glass cannons though.) The Guardians could be blob squadded with 2 weapon platforms with scatter lasers and held back in cover for harassing fire.
    Also It's the only "cost-effective" way of getting eldar en mass. I may be hitting up Rob's dodgy Chinese guy.
    That would take me over 1K points with what I have. After that probably Fire Dragons (I REALLY want to paint those guys!)

    More Jetbikes probably get purchased here, then probably a Wraithknight If I can swing the money. I just love the Idea of deep striking that thing. (I still remember the first ever time I encountered Deep Strike when rob's Blood Angels wiped out every model I had in 2 turns.)
    Plus another awesome paint challenge :)
    By then I'm sure I will have tired of this hobby again and have swung back to video games :)
    Otherwise here would be Harlequins, Striking Scorpions, an Avatar and dark reapers in that order.

    Considering I'm more likely to imagine battles than play them, the model types for painting are more important to me than their table effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do games and this hobby at the same time! Paint some, whilst drying games, mix and repeat.
    Oh wait and add study in there and attention to the other half ;D

    ReplyDelete