Friday 21 June 2013

Death Guard & Daemons

It is no secret that I am going to embark on a Chaos Marine Army for 40k.  Well obviously it is 40k, I mean come on, can you have Death Guard in WHFB, noooo.

The Theme for my army is Nurgle, but I intend to throw the traditional foot slogging title frequently given to Death Guard & Nurgle troops out the window.  As such it is a fast and mechanised force, currently named "Swift Rot".

There are certain units I want to include in the list regardless of effectiveness, these being Plague Drones of Nurgle, Heldrake & Chaos Space Marines.  As I do not want to play a pure Daemons army, the only way I could ever field the PDoN is with an allied force.  So this entire army and foray back into 40k is because of the jetpack flies with dodgy looking proboscides (yes, that is the plural of proboscis.)

The Core of the army will be the Plague Marines, unlocked as a troop choice by taking a Chaos Lord with the Mark of Nurgle.  These infected hobilars will charge across the field using their metallic equines purely as a fast transport and if said transport is not destroyed before disembarking, used as a mobile shield.

To keep with the mechanised/fast theme, I would like to ensure that many of my units have the capability to cross ground quick.  However in saying that the advancing units may still get shot to ribbons without other prime targets or distractions for the opponent.  As such I intend on using Nurglings as my required troop choice from Daemons.  Whilst not as strong as a Plaguebearer, they still have a reasonable toughness and can infiltrate in.

Army at this point
Bearing in mind the requirements from theme & core, the army is starting to form.

|HQ| Chaos Lord (65pts) - Bike (20pts), MoN (15pts), Power Armour, Sigil of Corruption (25pts), Power Axe (15pts), Burning Brand of Skalanthrax (30pts) = 170pts.

|Fast Attack| Heldrake (170pts) - Baleflamer (0pts) = 170pts.

|Troops| Nurglings (45pts) = 45pts.
|Troops| Nurglings (45pts) = 45pts.

|Fast Attack| Plague Drones of Nurgle (126pts) - Plaguebringer (5pts), Rot Willy (15pts) = 146pts.

Current total = 576pts.

So that is the army at present.  More to come as further decisions are made.

6 comments:

  1. That is a totally illegal list isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not finished it yet though. At present I need one HQ from Daemons and two troops from CSM. From that point on it is legal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what I meant.

    Get a Great Unclean One w/ Biomancy for the Daemons and Plague Marines for the CSM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tossing up between the GUO or a DP with wings and mastery level 3 (including biomancy). I really like the dumb ogre looking Failcast DP as a model. I would have to do some kit bashing to get some wings on him though. I have not found anyone that sells the drone wings as bits!

      Delete
  4. Have you got a colour theme at all? or can it only ever be just muddy green? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are going to be painted using pre-heresy Death Guard colours. I have numerous lines of fluff to explain why the colours are still visible, be it maintained at some level to strike fear into the hearts of the Imperium or they have been in statis in the warp and the decay had not taken hold etc.

    Either way, I love the scheme more than the traditional green blurgh.

    I would of started my tester models this weekend, but the damn hobby store did not have the Tamiya white spray, only pink or grey. :(

    ReplyDelete