Wednesday 19 June 2013

Problematic Army Painter White Primer

I talked to Rob and Paul about my issue with the aforementioned primer when I came up on our first hobby weekend.  They postulated that I may have been doing the priming when it was too hot, and as a result some of the primer was drying before it hit the model, resulting in a granular look.

Paul mentioned it again recently when I posted up my master class WIP.  And at that time I took careful note to ensure I was doing the priming in colder conditions (easy to do in winter...).

I have primed using other AP colours before and the result is smooth.  Heck I have done fifty Skaven now and not had this issue on them.

Given the problems you have seen and the example shots below of some tester models, should I assume that it is not actually my technique but that either this can of AP White Primer is borked, or the White in that complete range is knackered.

Grainy effect from AP White Primer - spray application

So if I am correct in my assumptions as to the sub-par quality of my existing white and my upcoming DG units, can you recommend any particular brands of white primer that you know first hand to have done a good job.  I am leaning towards Tamiya, which would be handy as there is a model shop 500 metres away.


2 comments:

  1. I picked up a Tamiya light grey, not really all that cost effective for big job lots, but amazingly smooth finish. Especially noticeable on my Wave serpen and Wraithguard. There are 2 other issues when spray undercoating:
    1, Humidity. Moisture in the air can affect how the spray 'behaves.' I noticed this when undercoating some guardians
    2, Oil on the models. I never wash my models in soapy water before undercoating them, but I have read on a few sites, that some pro's do this and swear by the results.
    This guy:
    http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.nz/p/archives-and-tutorials.html
    Has some great how-to's and covers some really awesome basic tips including undercoating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Josh. I am very anal when it comes to the cleaning of the models (shame that has not carried over to removal of mould lines yet), but I do wash them thoroughly. The frustrating part is the brown and black I have from the same range has worked very well, and they are all done in the same conditions and place.

    Thank for you for the information about Tamiya as well.

    ReplyDelete