Saturday 6 July 2013

Death Guard test models WIP

Here are the three lads at present.  A lot of this has been new for me of course.  Breaking away from my love affair with Quickshade and the magic it brings is hard.

Anyway I am trying new things and they still are not finished.  Need a thinners coat then a very low burnt umber wash.  Plus the bases of course.

I am happy with a few components.  That rust effect, omfgwow.  But also even the gun colour is more muted than the GC bolter paint I have used, so again happy there.

Not 100% happy with that white.  I think maybe a white undercoat with a bone top coat would be better.

But either way all learning and testing!

I cant do more until my cough clears though :(

PS the wife did say they look a bit rubbish compared to some of the ratmen I had done (her words).  I had to explain it was meant that way!  Its hard to paint bad looking!


5 comments:

  1. I will always be honest.

    I hate them...a lot.


    I would maybe look to a black wash to define the areas would actually make a huge difference.

    Painting white is always a bastard. I would consider a grey spray for the base and build up to the white.

    Maybe this as a basecoat

    http://www.slavetopainting.co.nz/products/paints-accessories/colour-primers/aerosol/uniform-grey-colour-primer.aspx

    Followed by some heavy drybrushing and then the ink.

    Details need to be picked out. For example details on the guys, metal in the neck / knee joints, pipes on the face plate

    Also have a look at this link for some ideas:

    http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/06/tutorial-death-guard-in-7-easy-steps.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your honesty. Paul specifically mentioned the detail thing as well yesterday.
      I have a new idea I want to try, that is more nurgly. So I think this maybe my first effort in stripping.

      Delete
  2. I did my dire avengers and they are a muted blue and White. They looked completely bland until I picked a few gems out. I got the Fiancee seal of approval for them after the gems :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What guide were you following on them? U would like to see the end result.

    Before stripping I would pick out the details and see how close to the end result you want they are.

    I often find when I am painting models there are certain stages where I hate the way they look...just need to push through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the one I was working off. http://sonofdorn.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/painting-pre-heresy-death-guard.html

    I know I hadnt finished but hey. Too late to pick more out though, they are in the Simple Green!

    I have another idea how to shoot with them now. All in the practice. And part of it is with a grey coat too ;D

    ReplyDelete