Friday 15 February 2013

Blood for the Blood God!

The first army I bought when I got back into Warhammer was mono-Khorne Warriors of Chaos.

The other Chaos Gods just didn't interest me in the slightest. And the models just reinforced that.

As soon as I saw the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut I just had to buy it. Probably the coolest model of all time.






The problem was, being a Warhammer noob again, mono-Khorne just was not user friendly enough to learn with. Sure, if I made it to the enemy lines I made a massive bloody mess and laughed maniacally whilst collecting more skulls for The Skull Throne, but that wasn't the way most battles played out.

Arrows, cannon, bolt throwers, stone throwers, etc etc along with ridiculous destructive magic really took a lot of the fun out of playing. People kept telling me to just add a Sorcerer to my list, but I really didn't want to, as I felt it ruined the theme of the army.

With the new book out I have had a change of heart. I REALLY want to play a Khorne army, and I also want it to be enjoyable.

I am positive that these Northmen have Shamans in their tribes, regardless of which God they come to worship, I'm sure their general way of life continues when not at war. So why wouldn't their Shamans go to war with them?

I imagine a Shaman in a Khorne warband being just as armoured and killy as the rest of the warriors, just with some skill in magic as well. Obviously you would never see a mage of the skirt-wearing variety in a Khorne army, that would just be embarrassing.

This model is what I will use in my army as a Shaman. With a head swap, probably a bare head with a nice big beard.





Now I have to choose a magic lore.

Theres no way in hell I can choose one of the 3 Chaos lores.

So it comes down to Fire, Metal, Shadow or Death.

The only one I see as appropriate is Death. Its a close range destructive lore for the most part, which obviously fits with the theme a bit better than the other options.

So I will end up with a mono-Khorne army with a few unmarked units such as Marauder Horsemen, Warhounds, Dragon Ogres and of course my Shaman.

I can live with that.

2 comments:

  1. To me the Chaos Shamans seem like what a Norse or Celtic Bard would be. They inspire and guide the troops, whipping them into a frenzy through sheer animal and physical magnetism and force of will.

    So I personally see no problem with what you are wanting to do bro. Perhaps some utterly insane cultists/initiates wanting to prove themselves to their new masters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skald not Bard. One in the same pretty much though :D

    ReplyDelete